Friday, September 10

Remember

There was a beautiful religious leader of my faith who attempted to distinguish the most important word to be found in the dictionary. His conviction and age and wisdom found that one word: Remember.
Simply, all we have in life are our experiences, possessions, and relationships by way of our attitude.
I believe there truly is something after life (as there was before life) full of meaning and the only thing that will be different is that I'm minus physical proprietorship. My opinion.
Experiences? Sure. It is everything I learn with the perspective I have. Hopefully (I like to think) I welcome change because it is certain. And therefore, hopefully I progress as an individual--open and with meaning. It's a special thing.
Relationships? Absolutely. I believe there is one Source. Nothing angry or unorganized. But a self-actualized Person. A Father. Someone who looks like me, has been there before, and has an awesome authority. And I'm proving my relationship (to myself) with Him continuously. He loves me, He wants happiness and unspeakable joy for the likes of me. I try to accept that some times. ...I am too hard on myself to accept the responsibility of completely knowing, right now. Nonetheless, the only limitations on my potential with Him are self-imposed and I've been given every provision. Like everyone. It is always my choice how to prioritize. He is (beyond imagination) organized and functioning. We are in families and all families are connected. We are His. So true. Relationships are so important while we are all on our journeys. Yes, we are indeed all in this together. It's humanity.
And I? Okay, yes. I was brushing my teeth and getting my jeans on. An avid watcher of the Today Show, I watched the second plane hit live. And I stared out the window in my room. It was bright. Familiar, check. Perfectly still. No doom. Not a sound but my heart pounding. A mouth full of foam. Let's have it already. Where's the explosion for me? I went to school. And the teachers had the TVs on all day to watch. Conservative on-the-scene coverage. Respectful. But the talk was cracked, scared, speculative. And in true Government class fashion we tried to have a discussion. About a draft? We were seniors, after all. But what replaced a burning portion of my fear with realized faithfulness was the wise-cracking cool kid sitting next to me, who when asked if he would willingly go to war, without hesitation announced to the room while turning to me said, "Ya, I'd go to war for you."
Your turn. Remember what you were doing on Sept. 11th, 2001-- annually known as Patriot Day. Make a habit to remember.
Because what ever stigma you think is associated with the word "Patriot" and American Flags, the Pledge, Putting your hand on your heart, etc. remember for a brief moment, oh please, before being offended if the national anthem is played or someone prays to their own who ever God that every one has a nice time and is safe, or some family puts yellow ribbons up while their son lives and dies in Afghanistan... KNOW that if you can love this place for what it is and isn't and you care about the future of it, you are indeed a patriot, like me. I think you are sophisticated. I think you are open-minded. I think you're politically okay. Keep a bit of perspective. I think we all have the same concerns but each of us can emphasize for ourselves and impose on others, when we are in fact not arguing the same thing in its exactness.
You are my fellow American.
For the future of America,
in all my rights, privileges, and freedom, I invite-
Remember September 11th.
(Amen.)

1 comment:

tt moreno said...

beautiful post!!! I do remember where i was. I was in school and saw it all on the televisions. everyone was going crazy and they dismissed school early for fear of threats.

here in jersey closer to the city there are so many stories in our ward and town of those who were on the ferry and saw it happen as they were on their way to the world trade, or a woman in our ward who was strictly told by her husband not to go to her meeting that morning in the trade center because she was pregnant and had fallen down.

there is a memorial in our town next to our favorite park of those who were in the buildings and lost their lives. i think about september 11th so often. it united us as a country.