First, we make a trip to Swains, the coolest (most authentic) general store ever. Though their slogan only boasts "Since 1950." We get our tree from the parking lot help-your-self-stand. It is still bundled up like a spear in bailing twine, we trust them. It is trimmed. It is fresh. It is Douglas Fir. And Jake ties it to our car. Did I mention we pay $20 here for 7 feet? All part of the tradition.
At home, he cuts the stump a couple of inches to help it take water. Then he cuts the twine! Tah Dah! In the treestand it goes. On a folded blue tarp (Goodness knows they're messy*). And we let it settle over night or more.
Then I'm in charge of the lights. I might love lights, and think they are the most effective way to enhance a handsome tree. I might love them A LOT. I have a method, too, and I'm willing to share my secret: Just lay them on top of the boughs in rows fairly close together. Keep them in the "zig-zag" form they come in from the box--it creates a double-deep layer in the tree. Now, if you put LOTS of lights on your tree, not only does it look amazing, but after Christmas is over and the tree is spent, you can just scoop up the lights in your hand, row by row, strand by strand, and Put Them Back in The Same Box They Came In!! AND They Are Not Tangled or Strangled For Next Year, Either! I will have to credit my love of lights for this ingenious idea. And I've only thought of it since having a real tree to celebrate with. --You can thank me later.
Jake then appoints me to add other embellishments like crimson wire ribbon, tinsel garland, a thin white string of beads... He is in charge of a very vital part, and this year he has an elf to help him. He is an amazing cookie maker. He is in charge! I made dough, but he rolls it, cuts it out, bakes it perfectly, and I just have to add the frosting. The gingerbread is amazing and a recipe I came across that claims to be used by Mormon pioneers in Nauvoo. And why would they make that up? Delicious. But I will add more spice next year. The frosting I'm concidering "old fashioned" as well, because I added more butter than normal. But I LOVE it now too! And on the tree the little guys go with ribbon, all having slightly different faces (I can't make anything uniformly!) and little personalities to match.
What Jake thinks I over do with the lights (nearly angry about it, hohoho):
What it actually looks like 800 lights strong:
4 comments:
I like your idea about the lights. Too bad we put ours up on friday. Im sure they are all tangled. Beautiful tree!
Your tree is so beautiful! I love the idea of using homemade cookies and candy canes. Makes it so fun! I might have to try that next year (and the light idea)!
it looks delicious. can we come to your place for Christmas?
I love your tradition. I can honestly tell you I have never made a gingerbread man in my entire life. How sad is that? Your tree turned out so cute.
Post a Comment