Sunday, June 7

Work Hard, Play Hard

Such a mantra, though exhausting, is very fulfilling.
I first heard, "Work Hard, Play Hard" from an area leader visiting in my local ward when I was a young teen at church. It was certainly food for thought for me at the time, and everyone that seemed to be flying with personal contentment and healthy success I saw in any acquaintance thereafter hearkened my memory of hearing these four words. It stuck with me; it additionally seemed they were not being weighed down as much by hang-ups, life happenings, and bad habits. I also think it has much to do with the religious and spiritual pursuits these people were dedicated to, but this way of thinking can be adapted by anyone. I'd like to be more like those good examples one day! And I think we are moving that direction.
Our family time has been in a vortex, but this weekend was encapsulated in Working Hard, Playing Hard. Working hard comes first (us working on our property ie. growing, cutting, building, starting, and more digging and smoothing than I am comfortable thinking about). Then, we can Play hard (...visiting, splashing, strolling, discovering, and swinging and nature-appreciating).
I talked to Jake, after so much time in our humble little yard with seemingly "little to show for it," he should build some nice chairs so we can sit outside and just enjoy. And build he did.
Adirondack chairs. VERY Nice. So sit we did.

We will work hard,
And sit we'll do.


6 comments:

JCLS said...

I love your backyard! I hope someday we will have one where we can cross our property line and be in the middle of a forest!

Mindy said...

Your backyard is so beautiful. Hopefully one day we will have our own yard, as for now we will just admire others. Like yours :) Also I love the picture of your husband holding both of your girls. So precious!

tt moreno said...

i love your backyard and garden. maybe someday I will have one. so until then plant a flower para mi :)

nicwoo said...

We love, and now can enjoy our yard more. :D we've been chompin at the bit for years...
-Up the road from us about a mile, private property/forest ends and the Olympic National Park Begins.
For those who live locally, we kind of give our location away because we live across the road from the "Purple House." that's for another post.
-The sitting picture is my new fave for sure. And, Min- you are my first "foreign" visitor, congrats to me and you ;)
-I will plant a flower for you and your girls. They are in the greenhouse now. also for the next post. But I will name one plant after you because I know you name your plants!

Shiloh said...

andy and I are green with extreme jealousy. I hope you don't mind, but we are moving in with you guys. we don't take up much space, promise. And we can help with the garden.

nicwoo said...

Come on over!
And Mr. P. would certainly be our guest of honor. We love watching his videos. :)
Some good things have come from our first garden (apt. balcony). I love my hostas that are acclimated to full sun. It was a great way to get started! I love your garden too.