Monday, August 31

Worlds Apart


This is Allie. This is Allie (quite unknowingly) holding a live shrimp that found its way into the crab pots on Saturday. She also held it up by the eye. (I don't think she got it was a living thing,) but Jake sure does enjoy putting Allie's naivity to work for amusement.
And to Jake's credit, he had just had a very long and treacherous day at sea with his father.
I told Jake to speak up in reason as needed and that's all the advice he got from me because I know nothing about swells, tides, lake boats in the open salt water, etc., etc. "For the Love of the Crab." The hunt, the taste. So anyway. All you really need to understand is that I'm the wife.
They lost a pot under the tide, the fog rolled in, the wind openly carried them in the general direction of Canada, the motor died. The back up electric was not even helping the vessel creep back to the dock, they had to get out near land and wade, pushed the boat, trespassed on the coast guard property, his feet went numb after five minutes, he was in the Pacific Freeze for fifteen, his calves went numb. Home wet, cold, and incredibly tired.
Nature is what it is. But I will venture to say this: unlike other places around the Sound, the weather here by ocean and mountain and the wildest.... at times reminds me of farming.
If you don't do it right, you will die. Your will means nothing.
There is more reverence involved for my distinct habitations than fear, I would say, and there was such a Renaissance for me showing Jake the agricultural high desert and he me, the Pacific Northwest.
As we plan our next trip to Idaho this week, I reflect. The observation in
My Worlds Apart
have some universal lessons I'll get to re-explore.




5 comments:

tt moreno said...

I love the picture of Allie holding the shrimp!!!!! im jealousy of where you live, it is breathtaking.

Katie said...

Sounds like Jake had quite the adventure. I bet the fam is excited to see you and your adorable little girls. Can't wait to see pics of your trip. Travel safely!

Jonny and Kara said...

If you guys are coming through Boise, you should stop by and we can make you dinner...or lunch...or whatever. It'd be so good to see you guys! (However, I know that's a SUPER long drive and you might not have time for stops.)

JCLS said...

It looks like you live in such an amazing place! I am jealous......I look out and see corn fields (which can be pretty but when you see one cornfield you have seen them all!). Maybe we will take a trip up there sometime....

Brian & Stephanie Gates said...

goodness! I'm glad I wasn't in that boat....

Sounds like you live in a better part of Washington then I did....I lived about 45 min. north of Seattle in Marysville, next to Everett and I hated every minute of it! It is dark cloudy and rainy everyday and you go weeks without seeing the sun! So don't ever move there! haha