Wednesday, May 12

Hope (and Granola)

I hope you had a great mother's day, because hey! -If you've got a belly button, you've got reason to celebrate and give thanks, right? Right? Anyway.
I learn a lot about life, real and genuine immersion-living, from my little children. Gives me hope for everything.
I'm not sure what to say, except know that I'm in Reflection. (When am I not?)
And,
I am going to share my granola recipe.
It isn't a tradition and it wasn't from my saintly great-grandma nor my beloved aunt, but it is about to be a tradition. And I found it on the internet (traditional). And a mother and daughter made it up. I have changed it some, so I will call it: "Hike with Me" Granola. Because we should go hiking. You and I. Me and You. Together. (Can't you tell I'm relishing Spring!?!)
Hike W Me Granola
9 C. Rolled Oats
1 1/2 C. Wheat Germ
1 1/2 C. Oat Bran
1 C. Roasted Soy Nuts (or Sunflower Seeds)
1 C. Almonds, finely chopped
1 C. Walnuts, finely chopped
1 C. Pecans, in pieces
2 Tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Maple Syrup
3/4 C. Honey
1 C. Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
1 Tb. Cinnamon
2 Tb. Vanilla Extract
Very Optional:
2 C. Raisins or Crasins or Chocolate Chips, better make that 3 C.
-------------------
-Preheat oven to 325 F. Line two large baking sheets with wax paper.
-Combine oats, wheat germ, oat bran, soy nuts, tree nuts, and half the salt in a very large bowl. Though, I use my large roasting pan. I don't really use it for anything else. And certainly not since my husband started cooking our Thanksgiving turkey in a dutch oven. 'Nough Said.
If the aroma of the oat bran doesn't get you, 
wait 'til you get to the next part.
Give it an extra squeeze, hon.
-In a sauce pan, stir together remaining Salt, Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey, Oil, Cinnamon, and Vanilla. Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients. STIR WELL to coat. Use your hands. That's an order. Spread mixture out on lined baking sheets. Please.
-Bake until crisp and toasted, about 20-25 minutes. Stir or loosen mixture with a spatula half way through baking.
-Let nearly cool on pans. Before completely cool, Loosen and transfer granola to a large air-tight container. (If you wait until it is completely cool, it will stick to the paper)
-After cooling, add optional ingredients.

Did I mention it makes almost 5 quarts? You'll like that part. You also might need three baking sheets. And a third rack in your oven. Make some adjustments.

I had a picture of it in a cute bowl with milk pouring on it. -But I think I ate it.

....and yes, I just realized I could probably have used my roasting pan for baking and saved myself a little. There's always next time.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

tt moreno said...

YUM! i will have to try it

Brandon and Emily said...

Looks good. Any chance there will be any left in a couple of weeks when we are up there?

The Becks said...

The flowers are gorgeous and thanks for the yummy recipe!