Allison has been waiting to turn four-years-old. And waiting. And waiting. In only the way a 3.9-year-old can wait. We had to get out a calendar and mark off the days. Tediously practicing the letter "x," slowly hashing closer to her birthday. Calling up and singing "Happy Birthday" to six other immediate relatives over that time really rubs it in and drags it out, too. Her birthday was on the last Sunday of the month. Her party was a family one.
"Allie, it's time to wake up..."
She stretches. "Close dthe curtains, Mom, it's too brigh."
I sit by her on the bed.
"Allison, it's your birthday today. Happy Birthday, Allison!" She gasps and sits straight up and puts her hands over her mouth. Her numbers have finally been announced. Says I, "We need to go to church because all of our friends there want to say Happy Birthday to you this morning. Then everybody's coming over for your birthday after that."
"It's my Birtsday? It's my Birtsday, today? Oh, I've been waiting and waiting! And now I can be FOUR? And now I can go to school? I can be four! I'm so exciting!"
"Yes! You did it, Allison, you are four! I am so happy for you." I really am happy and relieved for her. And I'm proud. Whatta Gal.
We hug.
She had a very special and generous day.
I'm still working on how she will go to school at four. Maybe I'll start a pre-preschool in the coming months...she does attend an infant-toddler group in the school district. And practices getting on the bus. But, how can I say no to her? Grant the wish...
...it's easy to see that the world is her Milk & Cookies.
(Recipe Here)






4 comments:
Happy Birthday Allison! My little guy was the same way and was so excited for his b-day to finally come. It's fun.
what a pretty party! happy 4th birthday allie!
Happy Birthday Allie! I love how she said "I'm so exciting!" hahah
Ok so I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday Allison! She is so adorable and I wish I had her awesome curly hair!
Post a Comment